Saturday, March 20, 2021

A Mysterious Island full of Magic and Misery

 It's been a long time since I published another book despite being asked by friends each time they meet me or my husband,  'Is Loretta writing another book?'  And I am touched that they are even politely interested. and have missd my outpourings!  

The answer, up to now, has been a fervent 'No!' because I really wanted to stop writing, stop living in a world of images, fantasies and ideas and actually be here and in the Now.  Very Zen, you might say.  Well, yes, and to be honest I have never felt more peaceful and happy despite pandemics and lockdown strictures.  I pottered round the house, cooked splendid meals in a newly designed kitchen and gardened, often twice a day, for several hours.  I lost weight too which is always a bonus, especially as a lot of people have actually put weight on during lockdown. 

So what has changed things?  I was approached by an interesting new style of publishing called eglobal creative publishing.  It's intended to appeal especially to Asian and South American markets but it is available to anyone who wants to sample a few free chapters and then opt to buy the book a chapter at a time or the whole lot.   It's a great idea as long as the first chapters are riveting enough to entice a reader to carry on.  I have to hope this is true of the book I decided to give them to put on this platform called The Glass Madonna.  But as it's a non-exclusive contract, it is also available in other ebook forms such as Kindle, Nook, Apple, Kobo for Western readers.  The first time I've ever gone as wide.  It's actually rather fun and exciting.


The story takes place mainly in Crete and especially on the strange and mysterious island of Spinalonga which lies off the coast near Elounda.  I visited this island in the late 1970's with the family when we were on holiday in Crete, a marvellous place.  At that time tourism had hardly begun to take hold in Greece and Crete was peaceful and as yet undiscovered.  An old fisherman took us over to see the island and there was only one other couple there.  It was so quiet, so forsaken, crumbling, overgrown and eerie.  I have always been fascinated by ruined and deserted places. 

I knew this island had to have a good adventure story in it and sat and wrote this novel in a slightly different form shortly after our return.  The children loved my tale which was all about the supernatural, magic and mystery.  The main character is a fragile young girl who becomes caught up with the sad destiny of a Greek villager whose parents died as lepers on the island.  She feels compelled to help him and is drawn into a terrifying adventure.  Nothing like Victori Hislop's The Island.  

Sadly for me, I left this story along with several others I had written at this time after a few feeble attemtps to find a publisher.  There wasn't any easy self publishing then!  Life was just too busy to deal with it all.  So fair enough, Victoria got there first and she does have a husband and a foothold in publishing and believe me, that helps a lot!  And hers is a great book.




But The Glass Madonna, though it has a similiar setting, is absolutely nothing like The Island.  It's a coming of age story and may not appeal to everyone but I hope the mystery and the strange characters will lure you all into a new adventure. 



 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello friends,I am ALISHA ROSS, This is my testimony on how my ex lover come back to me..i want to say a very big thanks and appreciation to ZUMA ZUK solution home for bringing back my lover who left me for almost 2 year,i feel like my life is completely over, so one day as i was searching on the internet for recommend spell caster who will help me to bring my lover back, Finally i met a writing how so many testimony talking about how ZUMA ZUK help to restore relationship back,so i decided to give it a try so i contacted the spell caster called ZUMA ZUK and explain my problems to him,and he cast spell love spell luckily within 24 hours my lover really called me and started apologizing for all he had caused me.and be begging me to accept him back and will are living together and happily married, I am the happiest woman on earth today because ZUMA ZUK has done a wonderful deeds in my life and i will continue to share this testimony, i pray God almighty give you the strength and wisdom to help more people having similar problem like mine, contact him. Email spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com Call or Whats App +15068001647

TerryAchie90 said...

MURAHQQ merupakan salah satu situs permainan kartu Online terbaik, aman dan terpercaya dengan persentase kemenangan yang tinggi saat ini di Indonesia. Situs ini juga menyediakan berbagai macam permainan kartu Online uang asli yang populer dengan sistem dan server stabil yang mudah di akses kapanpun dan dimanapun.

Favourite Quotes

  • My home is my retreat and resting place from the wars: I try to keep this corner as a haven against the tempest outside, as I do another corner of my soul. Michelle de Montaigne
  • Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony: Mahatma Gandhi
  • Friends are people you can be quiet with. Anon.